Breakfast is the most important meal of the day….at our Asheville bed & breakfast! One of our popular entrees at Pinecrest B&B is our Spinach Ricotta Puff. Doesn’t everything taste better wrapped in puff pastry?
Even better, prep the dish the night before so you can enjoy your morning and still serve 10 people a delicious filling breakfast. It’s perfect for those holiday mornings, like Christmas. It just so happens to be red and green!
Spinach Ricotta Puff
1 pkg (17.3 oz) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1 T olive oil
1 ½ c diced yellow onion
1 c ricotta cheese
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
Dash hot pepper sauce
2 pkg (10 oz each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
6 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- Cook diced onions in oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 20 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Set aside.
- Unfold puff pastry sheets and roll out one sheet to about 12-inch square.
- Line bottom and side of greased 9-inch spring form pan with 12-inch pastry sheet. Trim and patch pastry so it’s at least 1 ½” up the sides of pan.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with whisk. Reserve 1 T egg; set aside. Add ricotta cheese, spinach, salt, pepper, and pepper sauce to eggs; mix until blended.
- Layer half of the onions, cheese, spinach mixture and red peppers in pastry-lined pan. Repeat layers.
- Place remaining pastry sheet over mixture; pinch to seal pastry edges and trim excess pastry.
- Brush surface with reserved egg; pierce pastry several times to form vents or slits; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 400. Bake 1 hour or until top is golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around edge of pan before removing.
Comfortably Elegant B&B
This dish and plenty more are waiting for you in Asheville. Pinecrest Bed & Breakfast is the perfect place to start your day and breakfast is always included. Plan your stay and book direct. Our historic home is waiting for you!